Iwi Liason Committee Discretionary Fund
The Iwi Liaison Committee Discretionary Fund provides financial assistance to support, promote, encourage and celebrate Maori culture and language in the Whakatane District.
Who can Apply
Any community group or voluntary organisation based in the Whakatane District can apply for a grant from the fund.
The amount available in each year is $10,000. There is a limit of $2,000 per organisation. The Committee have determined a list of Critiera for the fund (doc, 379Kb)
How and When to Apply
Applications are accepted throughout the year subject to funding availability there is no set application period.
To apply, complete the Discretionary Fund Application Form - (.doc, 334Kb) and send your application to:
Whakatane District Council
Private Bag 1002
How Your Application is Assessed
New applications are considered by the Iwi Liaison Committee at their next meeting. Meetings are held every six weeks and applicants are notified of the decision within a week of the meeting. The Committee will not consider retrospective applications.
In considering your application the Committee will look for evidence that the fund will be used for:
- supporting Maori cultural events and activities
- promoting Maori cultural awareness in the Whakatane district
- encouraging people to learn and speak Te Reo Maori
- celebrating, promoting and protecting Maori culture and sports.
Examples of Successful Applications
- Mataatua Sports Awards
- national Waka Ama Champs
- national Secondary School Kapa Haka Champs.
Recipients of the Iwi Liaison Committee Discretionary Fund must complete an organisational receipt form that:
- specifies how the grant was spent, with evidence of expenditure attached - such as receipts, invoices or signed statements by the club's accountant
- reports on the benefits of having received the assistance.
Find out More
For more information email the Administration Officer - Community or call 07 306 0530.